Preparation of an Environmental Impact Statement for the Kilkenny Central Access Scheme in Kilkenny City
MOR Environmental was commissioned by Kilkenny County Council (KCC) to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement and Natura Impact Statement in support of the Kilkenny Central Access Scheme. The project included the construction of road infrastructure and a new bridge crossing the River Nore, which forms part of the River Barrow and Nore SAC.
This high-profile project required MOR to:
- Assess alternative route options.
- Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement.
- Prepare a Natura Impact Statement.
- Engage/consult with a number of third parties and stakeholders.
- Represent KCC at public consultations.
- Represent KCC at an oral hearing.
- Prepared rebuttals to third party objections.
- Prepare rebuttals to third party objections.
- Represent KCC in both the High Court and Supreme Court cases brought by third party objectors against the scheme in 2015.
- Provide all necessary technical support during the construction stage.
The project successfully obtained planning permission in 2011. Construction commenced in 2014 and the road and bridge were opened to traffic in 2017.